Re:Fishy smell

<< Another curious fact is that in my old setup, with a filter, heater and
 light, I could smell a fishy scent from my tank. That was a tank with very
 little plants. Now I keep the low tech high plant low fish tank, I don't
 smell anything. I attribute this to the lack of nitrogen as the plants are
 doing their job.

 Bain Chin
 bchin at mit_edu >>

The so-called "Fishy smell" in the puiblic water supply in Buffalo NY in
August is always blamed on summer algae blooms.  I suspect the loss of odor
in your current conditions is because you have reduced the algae levels.

Bob Dixon                        in Boise, where the water is much sweeter,
and El Nino is
                                        proving to be a friend