Re: Duckweed and water quality

Hi,

I had algae at one point in my tank, but that was also time when I had
duckweed. As the tank adjusted, I was relieved and dissapointed that the
duckweed died out by itself without any harvesting. The tank now has very
little algae, but no duckweed at all.

Another curious fact is that in my old setup, with a filter, heater and
light, I could smell a fishy scent from my tank. That was a tank with very
little plants. Now I keep the low tech high plant low fish tank, I don't
smell anything. I attribute this to the lack of nitrogen as the plants are
doing their job.

Bain Chin
bchin at mit_edu