Re: PENNYWORT

>Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 14:47:20 +0800
>From: Michael Cordero <taburnok at skyinet_net>
>
>hi.. its me mike again ... just a few questions..
>CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON A PLANT CALLED PENNYWORT..
>just to describe its got a round leaf .. one per stem.. and a round
>meaty stem...

In the Barry James book, pennywort is Hydrocotyle vulgaris.  I haven't
found this plant in my local aquarium stores, but I have found a similar
plant: Hydrocotyle leucocephala.  Pennywort is supposedly a European native
that prefers cooler water.  Several species of hydrocotyle are terrestrial,
and leucocephala is amphibious.

H. vulgaris is a stem plant that reportedly keeps its stem on or in the
substrate of your aquarium.  H. leucocephala grows vertically like a normal
stem plant and will send up aerial leaves when it reaches the surface.  H.
leucocephala requires a fair amount of nutrients, and hasn't done well in
my tank when uprooted.  It also appears to prefer water that's not
super-hard.

--
David W. Webb           Texas Instruments
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  http://www.dallas.net/~dwebb