Tank Cycles and New Bulbs

> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 97 9:03:37 MST
> From: "Marshall F. Wilkinson" <wilkinso at acs_ucalgary.ca>
> Subject: N cycling in planted tanks

> It was mentioned recently that planted tanks do not nitrogen
> cycle. When it comes to microorganisms I would say that the
> former statement would have to be false.
> It is probably more correct to say that the nitrophilic bugs and
> the plants would be in an equilibrium with respect to nitrogenous
> compounds.
> Even in a heavily planted aquarium one could find small pockets
> of nitrifing bacteria. Since the establishment of these colonies
> is usually what we mean by the term "cycled", planted tanks must therfore
> still cycle.

That would be me that stated the above. I was trying to explain that
planted tanks don't experience the usual ammonia and nitrite spikes that
are common in new non-planted tanks. I will admit to being guilty of
over-simplification. I was tired at the time, and that reply was meant
to be off list.

> Ok so I'm picky but it's Wednesday :)

You're forgiven, but barely. <g>

> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:02:53 -0600 (CST)
> From: Chris Kirkpatrick <chrisk at casbah_acns.nwu.edu>
> Subject: Stunted Echinodorus growth?

> I'm noticing that abundent new growth in a new 'red rubin' sword and an
> older E. major is a few inches shorter.  This after i changed all eight
> forty watt bulbs on my 180 gallon.  I am wondering if it is due to the
> intensity of the light?  Will 'brightness' cause these plants to distance
> themselves from the light?  chris

I don't think that I'd say it quite that way, but plants will stretch
and become leggy if the light is too dim. Let's just say that the
brighter bulbs are probably giving you more "compact" growth.

Pat Bowerman