Sequence for attaching CO2

I have an Eheim cannister filter. (Old model #2113) I am going to run
CO2 into the tank using this filter.

I have a welding shop making me the correct regulator and valve, but am
confused as to how to attach it.

Pet Warehouse (from whom I ordered an Ultralife reactor and bubble
counter) told me the sequence should be:
Outtake from aquarium ---> into Eheim ---> into CO2 reactor (which will
be attached to receive CO2 from the cylinder) ---> return the water to
the tank.

After reading postings from earlier years, it seems people put the CO2
in before the aquarium water is filtered, not on the way back to the
tank.

Which is the proper way to do this? Before or after filtration?

Thanks for the help