Re: Plant Lights

> Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:09:58 -0800
> From: "Jeffrey C.H.Chow" <jeffchow at gte_net>
>
> I recently started my tank and I have changed my fluorescent tube to
> that of a 48 inch plant/aquarium tube from GE.  Light intensity seems
> more compared to the perfect a lamp tube that was previously in place.
> However, I don't like the color!

From personal experience, I declare the GE PL/AQ bulbs to be "yucky".

I had a 29g tank set up to raise some Rainbowfish fry and had some
Java Fern in there to keep them company.  The tank took a 24" bulb, so
I got a cheapie ($7) PL/AQ at the hardware store.  Hated it.  Blech
color and so dim I could hardly see anything in the tank (when you get
old, you need brighter light to see teeny fish).

After a week, I went to the LFS and got a PennPlax Ultra Tri-Lux to
replace it ($20).  It fit the scuzzy light fixture better (1.25" dia
vs 1.5" dia), made the colors leap out and allowed me to see the
little buggers.

> I read Karen Randall's column in the latest aquarium magazine on
> lights.  Karen recommended Tri phosp types with an M shaped spectral
> distribution.  How do I know what tubes have this distribution.

Didn't she recommend something? Shame on her. Guess you can't offend
advertisers <g>.

. Triton
. PennPlax Ultra Tri-Lux
     (only "Ultra", NOT "plain old" Tri-Lux)
. Coralife TriChromatics
     (not quite as bright and DON'T get the reflector version)

> Plus which tubes produce intense green colors and not the yellowing
> that I noticed?

These will do a fine job of rendering colors.  We're partial to a mix
of Triton and Ultra Tri-Lux.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at fii_com)
Need Info?  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm
* Last update: 10/21/97