Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1038

> Has anyone ever tried using a bigger container than a 2 litter bottle for DIY
> CO2? I was thinking of using one of those big ocean spray plastic juice
> bottles that hold  1** some odd ounces. Since I have a 140 gallon, I thouught
> more might be better. I would just double (or triple) the amount of stuff I
> put in. Let me know what you think.

I use 1-gallon (128 oz) sports drink jugs for my 55 gal. tank.  They work
fine and since the jugs aren't accepted by our local recycling program, it
means I won't have to landfill them ("landfill" as a verb -- this is
cutting-edge English).

I can't think of any reason why the yeast would be picky about the size or
construction of their home, as long as it's clean.  You would want it
to be tight, but the yeast are probably not so concerned about that.
David Webb - on the basis of a sticky experience - has warned against
using glass containers.

I can even imagine that some containers might be better than 2-liter soda
bottles - particularly since the soda bottles are kinda tall compared to
their width, have partly rounded bottoms and aren't all that stable.

Roger Miller