Re: Urea as a fertilizer

-----------------------------

>Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:39:24 +0530 (IST)
>From: Anupam Basu <anupam at comports_com>
>Subject: Urea as fertilizer?
>
>Hello,
>        I am an absolute beginner with plants and would like help in
>clearing a doubt. A friend of mine told me that he has been using urea
>crystals as fertilizer with great results in his tank for some time now.
>Has anyone tried this? Is it safe and if it is, what's the recommended
>dosage? Any idea on how it might affect the water chemistry and the fish?

I have used it several times, and I agree with your friend.  It is a good
source of nitrogen, and it shouldn't be toxic to the fish except at high
levels.  A recommended dosage could be 1 cc of 1 molar urea per three or
four liters of water.  I would wait several weeks before adding more.  It
should have very little effect on the water chemistry.

Paul Krombholz in Jackson, Mississippi where the channel 3 TV tower fell
down yesterday, and now we can't get the world series.