Re: Water Movement

Matthew Mason wrote:
> Subject: Water Movement
>
> Help!  I have just enetered the world of the plant tank and am having
good
> success.  I see my plants producing O2 and the plants are sending up new
> shoots - good signs.  I am running a Fluval 403 canister filter with the
> outlet sending the water down at a 135 angel from zero and there is no
> surface water movement (water level is above spray bar).  From what I
have
> read this is a good thing as it reduces large amounts of CO2 from
escaping
> the tank.  The problem is that the surface has a proteinaceous layer that
> appears oily and foamy.  Thus I have two questions: 1. Should I increase
> surface movement to move this junk into the water, and ultimately, into
the
> filter and how should I do this; i.e., lower the water level to allow the
> spray bar to move the water or purchase a powerhead.  2.  Are there any
> other possibilities/cures that I am not thinking of that anyone can
suggest
> to me. I have considered a protein skimmer but I do not feel that this
> expense is necessary.

Matthew:
Go to a good store or mail order house and buy a Meridian Automatic
Aquarium Water Changer.  It clips on to your aquarium; comes with 20 feet
of hose that attaches to your faucet; skims the surface as it replaces the
water that it removes at five gallons per hour; dissipates chlorine, etc.
It is not expensive.  More information can be had from Aquarium Products in
Glen Burnie, MD.  You only need to run it once or twice a week for your
problem for an hour or two each time.

Good luck,
Merrill