Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1026

dr. dave writes:

>> 3.try to use a good substrate, maybe peat, gravel, and Duplarit
>
> Don't mix different types of substrates... use only ONE approach. If you
go
> with Dupla then you should use their entire line of products ... see
George
> for details. I prefer a natural soil substrate with a layer of 1 to 3mm
> gravel on top to reduce diffusion out of the sediment. I suggest also a
> depth of 4 to 6 inches of substrate. From the reading and research that I

> have done I suggest to you that a fertile substrate (of some sort) is the

> single most important ingredient to a successful planted tank.

While I fully agree with the sentiment of following one concept, I have a
little issue with dave's last comment. IMO, light intensity, is THE single
most important factor, followed by adequate C02 levels and good tank
husbandry. Fertilizing and substrate composition come in 4th and 5th place.
(I feel like arguing today ;-) )

Michael Eckardt - mike at odg_com
Ontario Drive & Gear Limited - http://www.odg.com
New Hamburg , ONT - 519-662-2840