re:tap water mystery

Hi from Canada:

Wondering if your water contains lots of CO2? Try boiling a sample, let
it cool and then test. One serendipidous Sunday I tried this and found
that after boiling all CO2 had vanished from the water and the PH had
climbed from 5.0 to 8.0.

Could this be fact or am I in for a barrage of e-mail espousing my
stupidity? I am not flying the flag of scientific truth but merely
passing on an observation (disclaimer!).

Can anyone more learned confirm the above? Would boiling also destroy
the phosphates and "organic acids" that may be attributed to false CO2
test results?

Later
Martyn