Re: Ditto from Dan Q

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:27:25 -0400
> From: krandall at world_std.com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1018
>
> Subject: Re: bleaching & substrate experiments

Karen wrote,

> I think that George's advice to find a "guru" who's style you like and
> stick with him (her<g>) is _EXCELLENT_.  There are many accomplished
> aquatic gardeners on this list, yourself included.  But we all have
> different styles, different methods and different goals.  many of us
> have proven that our methods produce beautiful tanks that are
> reproduceable and sustainable.  I've helped enough people with enough > different water chemistries to success that I'm am confident in my
> approach.  George feels the same about his, Dan Q his, and you yours. > BUT if soemone willy  nilly started mixing different aspects of those > four approaches with  no basic understanding of what they were doing, > they'd have a mess!

 Several months ago I added "Part 3" to my web page guide on setting up
a plant tank. Part 3's primary purpose was to suggest the 2 most common
reasons an aquarium (fish and/or plant) fails. It's my opinion that this
is the second most common reason for failure. Not only to you risk
making a mess, but there are a lot of folks on this list that have a
method they are successful with and are willing to tutor beginners. Even
a small change in their formula for a successful plant tank can diminish
or negate this help. If your a beginner and want to add worm poop and
beetle juice to your substrate (which might work) you best find an
expert that can tell you how much, what grade, etc. or risk the results
of your own doing.
Dan Quackenbush,
All Aquatic Plants