[Fwd: flow valves]

Greetings George,

    Just thought I'd drop you a note to add to the info on
CO2 needle valves for your site and possibly the Krib.

More information on the Nupro valves. They are made by a US
company called Nupro, whose parent company is Swagelock, who make a
lot of pressure valves, connectors and hosing. (you can virtually buy
all
gas fittings from them for your CO2 system at a price less of that of
Dupla)

The Nupro valve you have listed is not the smallest  one they have
available.
The one you have listed, they quote as being their "M series" valve and
have a
max Cv rating of 0.03. This rating is like the equivalent of resistance.
Which,
according to their data sheet, translates to a flow rate of 1.2 cubic
feet per
minute when connected to an inlet pressure of 2 bar (35psig).

The linearity of the valve is also pretty linear, with a slight kink at
the bottom end,
approx 5% off being linear (kink only lasts for the length of the first
turn). The
valve has a total number of turns to open of 8-10.

The reason for the variation, is because this depends on the minimum
open setting.
The valve, which by the way is not refered to as a needle valve, but
rather as a
metering valve, so I suggest that when people go to by a valve from a
valve and
fitting company, they might have better luck finding the right sort of
valve by asking
for a metering valve.

These type of valves are not designed as shutoff valves, so some sort of
shutoff
valve should be included, if you want to switch off the flow. (Although
this could
be done by winding down the regulator) What I have done is installed my
solenoid
valve before it, so use that to shut it off. This also has a manual
override, so that you
don't have to power up the solenoid if you don't want to.

They do have a smaller valve, which is listed as being the "S series".
This has a max
Cv rating of 0.004, which at the same inlet pressure of 2 bar (35psig),
translates to
a maximum flow rate of 0.15 cubic feet per minute. This valve has a
number of turns
till open of 8-12. It also has a larger kink (as expected) at the lower
end, but becomes
almost completely linear from the third turn onwards.

There is also an "L series" that is bigger again than the "M series"
with a max Cv of 0.15

The only difference in the labeling between the one you list and the
smaller one, is that
you replace the M, with an S.

The M and S series valves come in both 1/8" and 1/4" fitting sizes and
are available
in 316 stainless steel, brass (cheapest and suitable for CO2), and alloy
400.
They can withstand pressures up to 2000psig or (137 bar), are panel
mountable
and have three options of handles, vernier (mmmmm), fine adjustment and
slotted.

The handle has two allen key slots, one is used for setting the minimum
flow, and the
other is to lock the handle at a particular setting, useful if there is
the possibility of
it getting bumped, or affected by children etc.

The version I bought is labelled as B-SS4 (The B stands for brass and
the 4 stands
for 1/4") The 1/8" version is labelled as B-SS2.

The valve comes standard with  fine adjustment handle, but the vernier
to go with
it, adds a -VH to the labelling, so the one I bought is then labelled
B-SS4-VH.

The version you refer to is labeled B-4MG, which is a 1/4" fitting
version of the
"M series", a 1/8" version of the same is labelled B-2MG.

Again, adding a -VH turns it into the vernier version.

The valve is fantastic, allowing me total extremely fine control over my
CO2 flow
rate. I can wind the rate from about 1 bubble every 5 minutes, to about
4-5 bubbles
a second, linearly, if the inlet pressure remains constant.

Changing the inlet pressure allows me a greater control range.

In Australia, I bought the valve from

Brisbane valve and fitting pty ltd,
60 commercial road,
Newstead,
Queensland.
Tel: 07 3252 8900

and it cost me AU$77.25 for the valve (B-SS4), and AU$29.75 for the
vernier.
(Ex tax)

 Kindest regards,

Marque Crozman.