Lamotte Nitrate test

The instructions for my LaMotte Nitrate test end thusly:

"Match colour to a colour standard.  Records as ppm Nitrate as Nitrate
Nitrogen (NO3-N).  To convert to ppm Nitrate (NO3), multiply by 4.4."

I'm guessing that the second, higher number is the one we use when talking
about nitrate levels in the tank.  What is the non-multiplied-by-4.4
number?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir