Re: Good results w/kitty litter, AND an aponegeton question

>FWIW, I started a 29 gallon planted tank about 6 months ago and used
>kitty litter as one component of the substrate and I'm very pleased with it
>(so are the plants).

Just so that we have the whole picture, what were the other components of
your substrate?

>On another note, what do aponegetons look like as they begin to go
>dormant?  I have some (in another tank) that may be doing so but
>I'm not sure.

The leaves begin to die back, often shortly after the plant has flowered.
Whether or not the plant can BREAK dormancy again depends on how well it
was able to store nutrition during its growth phase.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association