Re:Iron Test Kits

Christopher wrote:
>A short question on Iron test kits. I would like to know what are
the
>better ones, their cost, availability, and any comments a user might
>have.

I did some tests on the inexpensive Red Sea kit and found the
following:

It definitely will show you weather or not you have iron in your
water. For instance the Red Sea kit showed no iron in the water I used
to fill my aquarium.  A week later it showed a definite presence of
iron in the water after I had began making Flourish additions.

It reacts to chelated iron, but it takes time.  I would wait at least
15min for the color to develop.

It will show you if you have an iron level greater than about 0.2mg/L.
 At this point it turns to a distinctive brown color.

The problem is there isn't a lot of difference between where you first
get an indication of iron and something over  0.1mg/l.

If you want to determine the difference between  0.05 and 0.1mg/L than
this is not the kit for you.

If you just want to detect the presence of iron and that it's not over
about 0.2mg/L than this kit would be fine.