Re: Blue-green algae problem

I've used erythromycin to treat blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria) outbreaks
in both freshwater and saltwater.  In the short term, it works fine, killing
the algae without appearing to affect the biological filtration, fish or
plants.  But in the long term, it seemed to be of little benefit: the algae
returned quickly, fueled in part by its decomposing ancestors.  I've had the
best success by focusing on the factors that seem to encourage cyanobacteria
growth - excess organic waste (most often from overfeeding and overcrowding
the fish) and higher than necessary calcium levels (GH>10).

jim