Re: Black Back on an Acrylic Tank

> Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 18:20:13 +0000
> From: "Jim Spencer" <jrs at cyber-quest_com>
>
> I'm planning to buy an acrylic tank and I see for about 10% more I can
> get it with a black back.  I was wondering if anyone out there has
> bought an acrylic tank with a black back and if they thought it was
> worth the extra cost.

Yes and no.  You're welcome <g>.

We used to use "plant" backgrounds on our clear-back acrylic tanks but
found that the acrylic seems to be ever so slightly permeable to water.
Water spots would develop between the outside of the tank and the
plastic backdrop. This became very unslightly.

Our newer tanks have black backs.  I think I liked the "plant"
backdrop better, but the black is dramatic. It depends on dense the
plants are.  After a big trimming, the back is visible.  After the
plants grow some, the black tends to add "depth".

Any algae growing in the black is also more visible, so careful
cleaning is required more frequently.

George "Almost in San Francisco"