Photoinhibition

> Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 22:10:47 +0000 (   )
> From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
> Subject: nutrient-deficiency symptoms related to lighting?

There is a well-known phenomenon (at least when terrestrial plants are
concerned) called photoinhibition.  It is an inhibition of growth and in
extreme cases of cell and tissue death caused essentially by
too  high a light intensity.  Research into the mechanisms of photoinhibition
is a large subfield of research in photosynthesis, and there is still
a lot of controversy among the researchers in this field.  Although I
work in the area of photosynthesis, I am not involved in the study of
photoinhibition.

Because the symptoms exhibited by your plants subsided after a decrease in
light intensity, the name of photoinhibition seems applicable.

The role of UV light that you speculate about is among the controversies in
the field.  The presence of UV light does have biochemically detectable
effects, but photoinhibition probably does not absolutely require UV.

Best regards,
Curt Hoganson

Dept. of Chemistry, Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824