Podostemaceae (2), Ick remedies

dave (?? at eworobe at cc_UManitoba.CA) wrote: <<<<Your plant would not be
a species of the genus Podostemum unless it was
found in fast running water. You can see pictures in (surprise,
surprise!); A Manual of Aquatic Plants by N. C. Fassett. They are on p.
239 of the hardcover edition (though I notice the latest incarnation is
softcover so page numbers may vary).>>>>>

That's exactly where I found it. Excerpt from my original post to this
list: "I have observed it only in relatively isolated patches covering
large, horizontal slates of rock, relatively close to the water surface,
preferably in areas with smooth water movement (not stagnant, nor
choppy)."
Thanks for the reference: would you please specify the publisher?

Paul Krombholz wrote: <<<<(...) I found a few references to the family
in G. Evelyn
Hutchinson's Treatise on Limnology, Vol. 3, but I never remembered to
copy
the family name down and bring it to school where my internet connection
is.  The family name is something like Podostemaceae, and there are
something like 130 species, most of them tropical, but at least some
extending into temperate regions.  Hutchinson did no more than mention
the
family because he was restricting himself to plants that grow in lakes.
If
you can get your sample plant to grow in the aquarium, that would be
very
interesting.>>>>>

So far it's  growing in Tupperware only! Thanks for the info.

"A. Inniss" <andrewi at u_washington.edu> wrote: <<<<Subject: Re: Ick
remedies/malachite and copper
(...)	Also, although I have yet to run across any scientific
documentation in support of this theory, supposedly the free-swimming
stage of our favourite protozoan requires light to survive, so
completely
shutting out light to the tank for a week should wipe out Ich. I find
the
idea of a protozoan needing light more than a little strange, but since
have seen this advice offered by persons whose opinion I generally
trust,
so I am not as skeptical as I might otherwise be. >>>>>

You are right. Reducing light has been advocated by some as a support to
treatment of Oodinium (Velvet).I can't exclude it was advocated for
other parasites as well. Light supports in some parasites autotrophy,
which from what I understand enables some organisms to synthetize their
own nutrients from simple molecules(?? am I correct in this
definition?). I found only one reference (second hand, I did not read it
myself): van Duijn, Jr C; Diseases of Fishes, ed 3, 1973, Springfield
Ill., Charles C. Thomas.

Dionigi