Jennifers hillstream loach

Jennifer:
Here is a post I submitted about 1 month ago.
Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of Hillstream
Loaches!
I think they`re great fish and way underappreciated.  Here`s what I know
from intensive searching:

They eat algae and the creatures that live in it; also blood worms, etc.
I feed mine algae disks and Sera brand Premium Tabs; they were fed
frozen bloodworms in the shop. I also give them cooked zucchini, but I
don`t know if they are eating the middles or my cherry barbs.  Mine come
out mostly in the evening and night.  Very peaceful.  Like dark
hidey-holes.  Some of mine are pretty active, swimming around, picking
at the bottom, and some just hide all day.  The more I got, the more
active (not aggressive) they became, even though they are somewhat
territorial.

They like pH around 6.7 and hardness H5 according to Dr. Herbert
Axelrod.  24 degrees Celsius.  I heard stories of very high temps. over
80 F. just outright killing them and temps over 77 F. or so stressing
them.  5 cm. max. length.  They are sensitive to water quality.

From what I gathered, these are some species (from Asia):
Gastromyzon borneensis = light brown with dark spots (I have 8 of these)
Gastromyzon punctulatus = dark brown with light spots
Pseudogastromyzon myersi = light brown with dark, ragged splotches.  The
dorsal  fin has white, clear, and red stripes, I believe, unlike the
others` plainer black/clear dorsal fins.

What type you have I`m not sure, maybe myersi.  But I`ve heard maybe of
a Zebra Hillstream loach?  I don`t know.  I wish there was a recent book
out there to straighten this out, especially with breeding information.

Various common names:
Stingray Pleco
Hong Kong Pleco
Butterfly Pleco (no,they are not plecos)
Butterfly Loach
Borneo Sucker
Chinese Butterfly Fish

Please tell us what type you think you have, especially since I have
been scouring the country for G. punctulatus and P. myersi.  I`ve even
contacted exporters from Singapore, but no one really contacts me back.
There are pictures in Axelrod`s Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fish
(myersi) and Baensch`s Atlas (punctulatus) if you`re interested.  Also,
go to www.dejanews.com and search for Hillstream and Gastromyzon to read
some good past posts on them.
good luck
frank