Re:anaerobic substrates

>Dave Huebert <eworobe at cc_UManitoba.CA> wrote:
>>Subject: Re: anaerobic substrates
>
>>BAD THINGS that can happen;
>>

>I'd like to add one or two (dozen) points to Dave's excellent remarks.
>All substrates are anaerobic (or more correctly anoxic, without
>free oxygen) below about a half inch of the surface.

I think if you check back issues of the APD and other literature you will
find that this is simply not true.  Maybe in tanks but not in the natural
environment.  Aerobic substrate zones in static water bodies, particularly
in the presence of plants -  and certainly moving water bodies -  can be
extensive.

Tony Greer
Department of Geography
10 Kent Ridge Crescent                          Tel (65) 772 6135
National University of Singapore                FAX (65) 777 3091
Republic of Singapore 119260                    E-mail GEOAG at LEONIS_NUS.SG