Re: Fertilization/volume of plants

> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:35:10 -0700
> From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
>
> Questions: I have been dosing 6 ml of PMDD everyday without fail.
> Should I cut back when the plants are heavily trimmed to perhaps half
> (3 ml) and then slowly increase as the plants recover?
>
> Please post your thoughts

OK, but these are only thoughts.

Trimming will spur the plants to grow faster and they will need just
as much nutrients as before...

Only a very little amount of nutrients is actually used by the
plants; the rest is oxidized into uselessness...

Only a very little amount of nutrients is actually used by the
plants but enough needs to be in the water to maintain the
proper concentration threshold (below which prevents the proper
uptake, explaining why 0.1 mg/l of iron is "good" even thought plants
don't actually use that much)...

By trimming leaves, you are removing nutrients stored in the plants;
they will surely panic and begin sucking up nutrients like crazy to
rebuild their stores...

> More to the point I suppose -- Is this something for concern?

We've never worried about it.

However, we trim plants when we change water and we add Duplaplant
tablets at that time.  Since they have extra iron, we hold off on
Duplaplant-24 drops for a few days. So, in essence, we may be cutting
back on nutrients a bit. But the tablets have most long term
nutrients, so we are "cutting back on nutrients" as the length time
between water changes increases toward the next water change.

> Does plant growth work this way? Do more leaves = more nutrient uptake
> and requirements.

Jeez, I don't know.

George "Almost in San Diego"