Clipping Sagittaria

Hello, all.  I have some Sagittaria that I picked up at a local
auction which is doing great.  I've never bothered to ID it, as I
reckon it's probably some x var y that I'd never be able to puzzle out
anyway.  Its leaves are about 1/2" (1.3 cm) wide, possibly a bit
wider, and its reddish.  The problem is that the plants are over 36"
tall!  What I'm wondering is whether it's OK to clip these at the
water line, as they're creating considerable shade in my tank, which
is about 16" high.

On a related note, I read in _A_ FG_ to_ Aquarium_ Plants_ that there
are varieties of Sagittaria that only grow to 1"(2.5cm) in height.
Can anyone tell me what name I should look for these under?  I'd love
to use them as a carpet.

Thanks much,
Brian T Forsythe
crom at cris_com