Re: Beautiful above the water

>Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:43:48 -0700
>From: "Frank I. Reiter" <FIR at istar_ca>
>
>By the end of this month I hope to have a 72 x 30 x 30 inch open topped
>tank installed in my living room.   My plan is to pay as much attention to
>growth above the water line as below.  What plants would you all suggest
>for their beauty above the waterline?

The bigger hygrophila species are wonderful when they go emersed.
Hygrophila corymbosa, Nomaphila stricta, "Temple Plant", etc. Once emersed
and happy, they produce prodigious small blueish-purple flowers.

Heteranthera zosterifolia produces pairs of delicate white flowers when
they reach the surface, but don't grow above it.

Echinodorus maior has an awesome flower stalk that will grow out of the water.

Many of the Nymphea species produce excellent flowers on the surface as
does Barclaya longifolia.

Most of the Aponogeton species will produce emersed flowers.

George
George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
Need info? http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm
           * More updates, Sept. 1