Re: Soil substrates

Here is a question for Dave Huebert or Paul Krombholz
if either of you care to answer it. I know that you two
prefer soil mixtures.

Why is a silty soil or loam of low organic content
preferable to one of high organic content and how
inhibiting is a good topsoil? As a general rule do
you cut your soil with course sand or gravel?

My rooted plants are doing alright in a sandy topsoil;
however, all of the stem plants remain frozen in time
without PMDD. This is especially true when there is
no CO2 addition. When I use a "natural approach" as
advocated by Dave, my stem plants don't grow. By far
the best growth these plants have shown to date is in
a tank with a course gravel substrate, PMDD, CO2, and
no substrate additives save fish poop.

Of course the anubias grow best in fresh air. Has anyone
successfully cultivated Anubias lanceolata submersed?

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca