Ramshorn snails: YMMV

> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:45:09 -0700
> From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
> Subject: Ramshorn snails
>
> Jessica wrote:
>
> ... As for snails, I've been avoiding those because
> >I've heard they can easily take over your tank.
>
> They could but one can pick them out and give them to folks who need them
> or to the fish store when they get big. They're pretty good about only
> eating algae unless there are too many big ones. Some people have been
> surprised that my goldfish don't eat them .. but they don't, unless they
> eat little tiny ones that I have not noticed.

I've got a bit of an algae problem in one of my tanks, so yesterday I
picked up three large (1.5 inch)  ramshorn snails to see if they would help
a bit.  Despite an abundance of algae, they chewed into my plants with a
speed I found quite astounding.  One 4" by 1/2" leaf became a 4" by 1/4"
leaf in about 20 seconds as I watched a single snail travel down it.

They went back to the store this morning.

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir