Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #945

> Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 15:29:42 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Michael W McGrath <mcgrath at citilink_com>
> Subject: Borneo Suckers/Hong Kong Plecos..
>
> I was at my shop today and saw the coolest fish. It was brown, maybe 1-2
> inchs, with tiny yellow spots. They where called Hong Kong Pleco, or
> Borneo Sucker. I was told they like to eat algae, and do not harm plants,
> but like a goof I forgot to ask the latin name. Anyone know if these guys
> are good algae keepers or what??
> Thanks
> Mike

	Mike,
	Fish sold as Hong Kong Plecos, or Borneo Suckers are from the
Family Homalopteridae, and most likely the one you have is a
Pseudogastromyzon, or Gastromyzon.  Tough to tell which species w/out
seeing the fish.  Try Baensch I and II, and Axelrod's atlas.  You may not
find your particular species in hobbyist literature, but if you're realy
hot to find out which particular species you have, send me private email.
	They are really more aufwuchs eaters than algae eaters, but in
terms of effect that won't make much difference: as far as any of the
flat, carpeting algae goes, they will do a good job taking care of it.
You'll probably find they are omnivorous in captivity (not atypical for
'aufwuchers'), and you'll see them happily munching on bloodworm if
offered.
	Ideally they prefer cooler water (low 70s), but I have found that
even at elevated temps (~82), they were okay in a planted tank, presumably
because the water in such a tank is still oxygen-rich.  They also like
current.  I once had them in a bucket with water flowing in via airline
tubing, and when the stream of water would flow down the side of the
bucket, they would fly out of the water and zoom up the side of the
bucket, seemingly relishing the stream-like effect. They do come from fast
flowing streams, hence they are sometimes lumped together under the common
name Hillstream Loach.  I don't believe pH, GH, or Kh values are critical,
although extremes are to be avoided.  They are, however, sensitive to
nitrogenous wastes, dissolved organics and the like, so clean water is a
must.  All that said, a nice healthy, planted tank is the best set-up they
couold have unless one set up a little biotope for them.

		Andrew