Re: Elodea in Toronto

Steve Turner said....

>I once asked at a pet store (Big Als, usually quite knowledgable) for
>Elodea and he said it was a banned plant and he could not import it.

and Dr dave said....

>Im surprised you have Elodea since they are a restricted plant in
>Canada. They can not legally be sold.

Big Als sold me Egeria densa (Elodea densa?) or a reasonable
facsimile in a pot last year for $6. I found it to be a nuisance,
grew too fast, and drove up the pH when my CO2 generator petered out.
It was composted.

Hornwort and goldfish is a good combination, if one can get the
weed to grow faster than the goldfish consume it. My neighbour
managed this quite well and both flourished.

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca