Re: DIY CO2

> Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:13:12 +0100
> From: BARRY GILES <b.giles at netcomuk_co.uk>
> Subject: RE:DIY CO2
>
> I found that baking yeast has a low alcohol tolerance. So after one week
the alcohol content reaches a point where it kills the yeast after all it
has been selected for baking not for swimming in alcohol. Go for a brewing
yeast after all it has been selected so that it has high alcohol tolerance.
I use cwe formula 67 plus yeast and have had good results so far.

> >BTW, someone asked late last week if I was using brewing yeast or baking
> >yeast. I have been using baking yeast, but could easily switch if there is
> >a body of experience out there that says that is the way to go. I am also
> >using regular refined sugar and not inverted sugar which I use for
> >carbonation in brewing.
>

> BARRY.

I've used champagne yeast, normal brewers yeast and rapid-rise baking
yeast.  The champagne yeast is supposed to withstand a higher alcohol
content than the baking yeast, but the choice of yeast didn't make much
difference to how long a batch lasted.

The simple solutions using plain white sugar and yeast from the grocery
store with or without baking soda work very dependably and last me at
least 4 weeks.  CO2 production seems to be more constant with the baking
soda.

The batch I changed out yesterday lasted 5 or 6 weeks and the remaining
clear solution was fairly dry.  No variety of yeast - regardless of its
alcohol tolerance - would have continued to produce CO2 from that batch
because there was very little sugar left for the yeast to work with.

Roger