re: sudden death

> From: KAMLESH OZA <kpoza at giasbm01_vsnl.net.in>
> Subject: Sudden death

> Tank Size 48"  (24" deep) lit with 4 Flourescent tubes (4 ft, 38 watts).
> Two gro lux and two Phillips true light 6500 K.  The pH of the water was at
> 7.83, soft (filtered thru Peat).  Nitrite and ammonia nill.  The tank had
> fully cycled.  (6 months since set up).
>
> I assembled my own CO2 cannister to boost my plant growth which is already
> quite lush.  I suspect my regulator was set too fast.  30 Bubbles a minute.
>  Overnight the pH dropped to 5.2 and all the Fish were dead!

> Did the pH drop or CO2 concentration kill the Fish!?!?

Yes.... Seriously,does it matter?

> Now I am scared to either put new fish in it or start up the CO2.
>
> Any advice would be apprecited!  Has any one had such experiences with CO2
> getting out of hand?

Yes, I've had some near disasters. (fish lethargic and/or gasping at the
surface, but fortunately no deaths) All of these instances involved the
use of CO2 reactors. If money is no problem, try a ph controller. If
you're financially challenged, you might consider a bell jar. I have a
DIY one, and I have never had a problem with it. Turn your CO2 on too
much, and it simply escapes to the air. Probably contributes to the
Greenhouse Effect, but hey, nothing is perfect.

Hope this helps, Pat Bowerman

PS, better check that KH. 30 bubbles per minute is usually an acceptable
rate.