Re: Nitrate levels

Over on the goldfish list serve we're having a thread about reducing
nitrates by planting (let me clarify that in a minute!) a pothos or
philidendron in your tank, pothos being the most highly recommended.
Here's what you do: wrinse the roots very thoroughly and then wrap them
in the cut-off end of a nylon stocking and tie them up (mainly to keep
fish from nibling them), then put the roots in your tank or filter
basket and watch it grow. Apparently, it just eats nitrates like you
wouldn't believe and the light from the tank makes it just grow and
grow, so that it ends up looking lovely as it cascades down the side of
your tank. Anyone here tried this? Sounds like a good way to keep them
nitrates down!
Jessica