Nitrate Levels

Doug wrote:

>The only thing I am still struggling with is the nitrate level, which is
>between 12.5 ppm and 25 ppm, according to a Tetra kit. The fish load is
>moderate - three zebra danios, a great-grandmother guppy (her progeny
>fill up two other tanks) and a Chinese algae-eater. I do 1/3 water
>changes every two weeks, limit feeding and recently planted a bunch of
>anacharis to help with the problem, but I don't seem to be able to make
>much of an impact.

Do you think the nitrate is affecting your tank?  My guess is you could
live with
25 ppm without any noticeable effect.  The large Dupla tank starts with
tap water around 50 ppm and hovers around 28 ppm (from The Optimum
Aquarium).  My experience is that high nitrate levels alone don't
present much of a problem.  It would be interesting to know WHY your
levels are that high.  I wonder if your tap water is the culprit.  But I
wouldn't worry too much about it.

Regards, Steve Dixon