Re: Sudden death [from CO2]

> Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 21:11:53 +0500
> From: KAMLESH OZA <kpoza at giasbm01_vsnl.net.in>
>
> The pH of the water was at 7.83, soft (filtered thru Peat).
>                                  ^^^^
> I assembled my own CO2 cannister to boost my plant growth which is
> already quite lush.  I suspect my regulator was set too fast.  30
> Bubbles a minute.  Overnight the pH dropped to 5.2 and all the Fish
> were dead!
>
> Did the pH drop or CO2 concentration kill the Fish!?!?

Probably a combination of rapid pH change and perhaps a high CO2
concentration.  The 30 bubbles per second doesn't sound too extreme.
However, if your water had no carbonate hardness, and therefore no
buffering, even a small amount of CO2 will cause the pH to plummet.

> As yet the Plants seem none the worse for it.

They are tougher than fish.

> Now I am scared to either put new fish in it or start up the CO2.

Before you try it again, read up on the water chemistry involved with
CO2; it's not overly complicated. Check the APD or Aquaria archives or
visit my website.

George Booth
Need info?  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm