RE: flocculating agents

In: Aquatic Plants Digest  Monday, September 8 1997  Volume 02 : Number 941
Jean Olson wrote:

> I have always cleared water clouded with particulate matter using either
> (a) a flocculating agent, e.g. nalidixic acid, or (b) a diatomaceous earth
> filter.

Nalidixic acid is an antibiotic, belonging to the quinolone group, with a
wide spectrum of activity, and registered for use with food fish in some
European countries and Japan, although not the US. Also used for other
veterinary purposes, and in human medicine. It is of no use as a
flocculent, as far as I know. Perhaps you mean silicic acid?

(PS: I sincerely hope this message does not have embedded MIME encoding or
an attached Winmail.dat file. This is my first message since taking
measures to eliminate them. Abject apologies if they reappear.)

Ross Drewe
rdrewe at melbpc_org.au