CO2 Tablets from Germany

First time posting- so please forgive me if this gets messed up.
I have recently become enamored of the planted tanks concept of aquaria.  I
have read all the faqs and have setup a 55 gal. tank with an assortment of
plants from Aquarium Driftwood CO. (very nice people).  And am now looking
into getting a carbon dioxide supplementation system in place.  I don't
know about the DIY co2 stuff or the bottled CO2 and I would like your
opinions on the CO2 tablets.
Also what is the absolute minimal test kits I should get.  I will be
keeping fish in the tank.  Mostly gouramis , tetras, corys and bristle nose
plecos.
Jeff
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a pair of  good shoes.