Re: Isoetes japonica

     >Does anyone have experience growing Isoetes japonica?  I am thinking
     >of trying this species out and am wondering the following:
     >    1.  Does it need any special conditions beyond CO2 injection, pH
     >around neutral, soft water, temps around 78 degrees F?
     >      2.  How fast/slow does it grow?  If one buys a plant about 1"
     >square at the base and 12" tall, how long until it puts out longer
     >leaves and becomes broader at the base?

     I have Isoetes sp. that I haven't identified.  It is a central Texas
     native, but that doesn't exactly narrow it down.

     Mine is in moderately hard water (120 ppm CaCO3), pH 6.8 (CO2
     injected), temp 75-80 F, soil/vermiculite substrate and PMDD.

     It grows VERY slowly.  Mine has not grown any taller (~12"), but has
     gotten bushier in the past 6 months (perhaps a 25% increase in
     "bushiness").  In contrast, all my other plants have at least doubled
     their biomass in the same time period.

     I really enjoy this unusual-looking plant, and the fact that it
     doesn't require regular pruning and doesn't try to take over the
     aquarium makes it even more attractive to me.  It's a very well
     behaved plant.

     Kind regards,

     Mark