Re: Nutrients in Substrate or Water ??

> Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 18:52:09 +0100
> From: A M Moore <andy at ascot_u-net.com>
>
> My substrate is fairly rich but I have been taken to task recently by
> a fellow APD member who seems to be indicating that the nutrients
> should only be in the substrate so that algae in the tank will not get
> at them.

What kind of plants is the fellow member growing?  Are they the same
as yours?  What does the fellow member's tank look like?  Do you want
yours to look like that? If so, take his advice.

How do you keep the nutrients in the substrate when you pull up plants
for trimming?  That would seem to be difficult unless maybe this is
a way to keep the plants from growing too fast and they don't need
trimming.

I've been adding Dupla drops to the water for eight years with no
algae problems. Perhaps algae does grow in our tanks but, if so, the
algae eaters seem to keep it mostly invisible. I guess it also keeps
the algae eaters fed enough such that they don't try to eat the more
tender plants.

Some of the nutrients in the water ends up in the substrate thanks to
the substrate heating coils.

I think our tanks look nice. Your results may vary.

George
Need Info?  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm
            * Major updates 9/1/97