Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #931

> From: mike at microspan_com (Mike Roberts)
> Subject: Fluidized bed filter
>
> I haven't seen much discussion here about fluidized bed filters.  My
> local fish store owner thinks this would be a better choice for a CO2
> injected tank than a trickle filter.  His rational is there would be
> less CO2 loss due to outgassing.

I think this is true if the water return was below the surface to
avoid turbulence. I assume they also generate good water flow?  (They
need more water flow than normal to keep the bed "fluid", right?)

However, I see some potential downsides.

What about mechanical filtering?  Is there a prefilter of some kind?
Or does the bed do the mechanical filtering?  I've always assumed they
were best at lots of biofiltering in a small space.

What about power failures?  I've heard they good sour quickly when the
power is lost because they compact quite a bit with no water flow.

Do you think you need that much biofiltering in a planted tank?

The fish store guy isn't just trying to sell you the "latest and
greatest", is he?  We were in Colorado Springs to give a plant seminar
to the Southern Colorado Aquarium Society a couple of years ago and we
visited all the local shops beforehand. They were seriously "plant
impaired".  One owner (in Manitou Springs, I think) even stated that
"you can't grow plants in an aquarium because plant fertilizers are
poisonous to fish".  Hopefully, all the aquatic gardening activity of
the SCAS has turned things around a little.

George
Need Info?  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm
            * Major updates 9/1/97