Small amounts of rust

The city I live in is perched on the Canadian shield, rock which is quite
eager to leach all manner of things into aquarium water if given the
chance.  When I have found other kinds of rock, often it has a number of
tiny (we're talking millimeters here) rusty spots on it.

I've been avoiding those as well, under the assumption that having
something rusting in my tanks is a bad idea.  It occurred to me today that
I really don't know how bad it is or isn't to have a few specks like this
on some of the rocks.

Can anybody say one way or the other with confidence?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir