nitrate toxicity levels for plants

     I was reading an old TAG issue last night on Cryptocorynes (4:1 I
     think) and the author was discussing substrates for Crypts. He was
     using sphagnum peat moss in pots. I was wondering about mixing it with
     anything else or covering with gravel. Anybody care to describe the
     use of peat in substrates especially those designed for a variety of
     plants? I suspect peat might have a tendency to decompose a little
     faster if mixed with soil. I also suspect that large ratios of peat
     might not be suitable for certain plant types.

     My question is about nitrate toxicity especially with Crypts. The
     author of the TAG article mentioned that certain types of Crypts
     didn't grow well in high nitrate environments (i.e. ~100ppm) He
     suspected this contributed to Crypt meltdown. I've grown a variety of
     Crypts (not as many as the author) in a tank with high nitrates but
     found the plants to grow rapidly and they were quite robust. I've not
     experienced meltdowns but I doubt that I'm growing anything sensitive.
     I also use strong lighting so I suspect this enhances the Crypts'
     vitality and health. I suspect that meltdown actually caused by
     nutrient deficiencies and poor conditions in general. Any comments?

     I was able to previously grow Rotala macranda using a less fertile
     substrate with good success however in the highly organic substrate
     tank with high nitrate concentrations, it did not grow well and died
     out. I wonder if this was due to nitrate toxicity or to an intolerance
     for a very low redox potential in the substrate or to a lack of other
     nutrients since some other nutrient must have become the limiting
     growth factor. It could be that the R mac couldn't get enough iron
     from the substrate since I was maintaining relatively low levels of
     chelated Fe in this tank and there could have been strong competition
     for it. I can't be sure if this was a case of nitrate toxicity or not.
     Any comments?

     Steve in Vancouver where the heat wave may be ending