Ameca splendens... yes it does eat filamentous green algae!

Some of you who are usenet old timers and/or readers of the Krib's algae
section may remember an article posted by Matt Kaufmann ages ago extoling
the virtues of Ameca splendens, an interesting livebearer that drops young
when they are 1/2 inch long... among other things, Matt claimed that they
actually eat filamentous green algae, the kind you have to remove with a
fork like spaghetti (not to be confused with tenacious brush algae, which
has to be removed with an SAE).  It's true.  They do eat it quite well.
I've had three juveniles in a 10-gallon high-light tank with algae-choked
plants such as Micranthemum for the past 3 months.  I don't feed them, yet
their bellies are always full.  The tank is now immaculate.

Another data point for the records.

  - Erik

---
Erik Olson