Re: Mouth Fungus and White Spot disease

Casey:

Furanace used with a new development called "Therapy" is extremely
effective on Mouth Fungus (Columnaris) but you would have to get it from a
mail order house in the U.S.  By that time, your fish are probably going to
die.  The above is not too hard on your biological system.  You might want
to keep some on hand for the future -- available from That Fish Place, Pet
Wharehouse,Daleco and other mail order houses.  Also, "Therapy" with
"Quick-Cure" eliminates Guppy Disease (Tetrhymena) without completely
destroying the biological system.

> I recently added some guppy and they have started to die
> from Mouth Fungus disease.
>
> Could anyone please advise a cure? Are antibacterial
> medications compatible with shrimps and live aquatic plants?
> I have read from somewhere that antibacterial medications
> should not be used with live aquatic plants, but they did not
> provide any explanation. Could someone please explain why?
>
> If I remove all the fishes to another tank for the antibacterial
> medications, do I need to disinfect the planted tank with all the
> live plants, shrimps and filter system? If so, how to do it
> correctly?

Charlie:

On your White Spot problem,  see the above suggestion to Casey because some
of these medications are not readily available in Maylasia.  Actually
"Clout" would be my choice for "ick" in a planted aquarium, as it does not
harm plants or the biological system.  Methylene Blue (not in the Clout
product) does harm aquatic plants.  Used with "Therapy" (a new development
here), the cure is extremely rapid!  I don't think either are available in
your Country, but you could get it for the future from mail order houses.

Anyhow, for now, I would try the Malachite Green -- which is kinder to
aquatics.  "Ick" (or "Ich") treatments kill the Trophonts (spores) of the
parasite, so when youo don't see white spots for 3 days, you have probably
cured the fish.  You may be able to get "Aquari-Sol" in Maylasia, and that
will help without too much damage to your aquatic plants and biological
system.

Good Luck!

Merrill