Re:Nitrate Test Kits

Andy wrote

> I think that the SeaChem sounds like a pretty good deal, considering
> it tests both nitrate and nitrite.  Red Sea does the most tests for
> the buck. I left out LaMotte because it alone would bust my budget!
> ;)  Does anyone know which brand is the best?

I think in the long run the LaMotte kit would be a better deal.  I
tried the SeaChem kit but couldn't get good agreement with standards
I was making. I recalculated and remade these standards several times
and still did not get good agreement.  I bought the LaMotte kit and
got goood agreement with my standards.  I also found that my aquarium
was about 50ppm nitrate not 5 as I had been reading with the
SeaChem kit.  No wonder I was having an algae at the time.

I think the problem I had with the SeaChem kit was my ability to
compare a color intensity using a cardboard chart. The LaMotte kit
has a comparator that uses vials of colored solutions that makes
judging the color intensity of the test vial very easy.  Note the
refills for this kit are about $15-$16.

Jim Spencer   Sayre, PA
jrs at cyber-quest_com