Re: substrate circulation

> Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 11:28:15 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
>
> I balk at running heating cables through my substrate (for a number of
> reason), but I see the need to keep some circulation in the substrate
> to avoid depleting the nutrients there.
>
> How much of the advantage of substrate heating cables could be
> achieved by providing a very low circulation rate through an
> undergravel filter?

Based on our experience, almost all of the advantages with only a
small disadvantage -- we found we had to do a thorough gravel
vacuuming about once every six months. This was indicated by an
increase in algae and a decrease in plant growth. This tank was
running for at least 5 years.

We also found that some types of plants did better with a slow UGF
(SUGF, new four letter acronym!), particularly, Alternanthera
reineckii, various crypts, Bacopa caroliniana and Hygrophila stricta.

Details: 85 gallon tank, 60"x18"x18", 2.5" quartz gravel substrate, no
laterite or other additives, full length UGF run with only two
Aquaclear 201 powerheads (there was room for four uplift tubes; only
two where used), Ehein 2217 for additional water movement, CO2
injection throught the Eheim, Dupla fertilizers, four 40w FL bulbs.

George