Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #876

On 08/05/97 at 03:48 p, Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com (Aquatic
Plants Digest) said:

> the measurement in question here is Total
>Dissolved SOLIDS.  Are you really going to claim that *only* solids
>can produce measurable conductivity when dissolved in water?!

Well to take the HCl example, I claim the Cl- ions do not carry a
little tag with them to tell you they were last bonded with an H+
vs. an Na+.  And CO3- ions do not have a marker to tell you whether
they came from H2CO3 or K2CO3.  So yes, they do count as "solids"
and an HCl solution does NOT have 0 TDS.

--

Dave Gomberg, FormMaestro!                     http://www.wcf.com
 gomberg at wcf_com