Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #875

> Date: Mon, 04 Aug 97 07:34:06 -0700
> From: gomberg at wcf_com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #874
>
> On 08/04/97 at 03:48 p, someone on Aquatic Plants Digest said:
>
> >>  I could easily give you a water sample with a very
> >>high conductivity which also has near-zero TDS.  Conversely, I could just
> >>as easily give you a water sample with near-zero conductivity, but which
> >>has very high TDS.
>

> Later is true, former is bs.  It is a chem exercise to figure out
> why.

I didn't make the original statement, but I'll respond anyway.  While
neither of these extremes is very applicable to aquariums, both are
possible.  Hydrochloric acid (HCl solution), for instance, has a very high
conductivity but no Total Dissolved Solids -- HCl is a gas, not a solid.
A pure sugar solution would have very little conductivity because the
solute isn't an electrolyte, but its dissolved solids concentration could
be very high.

Roger Miller