Lights and Summer Heat

We're in the midst of a hot spell in S. California which is causing my tank
temperature to climb over 85 degrees.  My house is not air conditioned.  I
already use a fan to cool the lights and replace about a quart of water a day
in evaporative loss.

My question:  Is it possible to run the lights in two separate periods - in
the morning for six hours and at night for six hours to minimize the time the
lights are on during the peak temperatures of the day?  Or will this have
adverse effects on plant growth or on the fish?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Cwirla
Hacienda Heights, CA