Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #870

Mike-

>Does anyone have experience and/or success with using a cannister filter as
>a diffuser for a fresh water plant tank???
>
>Experiences/recommendations are really appreciated.

I used a set up such as this with great success by bubbling my DIY CO2 directly into the intake
of the canister filter. However, if you are using a CO2 tank and regulator then I caution you
against this approach. The reason is that with the yeast based system, you are never going to
get LARGE amounts of CO2 produced, but with a tank and regulator if something malfunctions you
will end up dissolving a tremendous amount of CO2 into the water. Because of the efficiency at
which a canister filter can dissolve CO2, PH levels will drop VERY quickly if this were to
happen (not a good thing). I am speaking from experience as I lost about half my fish to such a
set up.

Bottom line, if you are using a yeast based set up then I recommend using your canister filter.
If you are using a tank and regulator than using an upside down container to trap the CO2 is
safer.

Carlos

>Thanks!
>
>- - Mike
>Irvine, California
>mullman at hlc_net
>

>Anyone have any experience with a product called "Flourite" as a substrate
>for freshwater plants?  Also, have people used "kitty litter" (yes, real
>kitty litter) as a substrate under gravel as well?
>
>Any experience or ideas would be appreciated.
>
>Thank you very kindly,
>
>- - Mike Ullman
>Irvine, California
>mullman at hlc_net

Mike-

I have used kitty litter with great success. I mix it with a small amount of substrate gold just
to make sure that I have enough iron, but I'm not sure that it is absolutely necessary. Anyway,
the key in my opinion with using kitty litter is to cover it with at least 1 1/2 inches of sand.
This way, you keep the kitty litter from clouding your water. There was a very helpful and well
written article in one of the major fish magazines many months ago describing in detail how to
set up a tank using kitty litter. Does anybody remember the publication and date?

Carlos