Re: Mystical Laterite?

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 Onis Cogburn <k5vkq at ix_netcom.com> wrote

> >Any feedback on these questions will be appreciated.
> >
> My potter's dictionary defines laterite as the name given to
> iron-manganese-iron ores in hydrated form.  More than 50% alumina results
> in the laterite being classified by the more specific term of bauxite.
> Bauxite is the ore found in abundance in Arkansas where it is smelted to
> produce aluminum.
>
> There are many clays including kaolin, ball clay, red art clay, etc.  The
> proportions of the different elements determines the characteristics and
> color of the clay when it is fired to produce pottery.  The only naturally
> occurring inorganic red coloration in clay is iron.  If you see clay with a
> reddish brown or orange color, it either has iron in it or it has been
> artificially colored.

I bought laterite clay from a local pottery supply house. They call it
laterite
and someone either on this list or in one of the Usenet newsgroups
suggested it
to me. It's "mined" near Sacramento.

For the record, I've changed ISPs and so I'm posting this for the
archives.
Excuse the intrussion please.

I offer, for fellow aquarists, the dry ingredients for aquarium
plant fertilizer, as described in the Aquatic Plants Digest by Kevin
Conlin and Paul Sears.. I will supply, post paid in the US, enough of
the
three ingredients to produce 5 Liters, a copy of the recipe with my
notes,
and a facsimile of the micronutrient label for $30. Send me e-mail if
your
interested.

Formerly PacNeil at worldnet_att.net

--
Email: pacneil.nospam at pwy1_sdca.home.com <- anti-spam address remove
"nospam"